[haiku] Re: haiku Digest V9 #239

  • From: Christopher Walker <sven.hakonsson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 18:36:49 -0600

He's right. The guidelines use non-mandatory language like "*Please* include
the following disclaimers..." and in no part of the source code licensing is
it mentioned that "distributions" must follow these guidelines. (At least
not to my knowledge.) The only legally enforceable part of the guidelines is
the trademark policy, as Nicholas says. And even then, not in every country
and not until great expense.

One of the things that makes Linux and many of its distributions so great is
that there are relatively few restrictions on derivatives. When you place
additional restrictions and boundaries, you discourage change, improvement,
and growth. If there has so far been one thing I've disliked about the Haiku
project, it is this "guideline." (Okay, this and the fact that I still have
no wifi for my netbook.)