[haiku] Re: Non-BFS file system support

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:22:02 -0500

Ryan Leavengood wrote:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:20 AM, André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But Squirrelfish Extreme has a flux capacitor. :) And word goes that
it's much easier to hack into the WebKit code base than it is to find
one's way around Mozilla's.

Yes in fact as some of you may remember I have already ported WebKit
to Haiku, though that port is now very out of date.

Once that is updated (and I don't expect SquirrelFish Extreme to be
too hard to port), we will have that engine on Haiku.

But I don't think a port of V8 is at all a bad idea. The more options
we have on Haiku, the better.

One thing I will say though, is that if you are going to work on a
browser Raymond, we should probably collaborate, since I need a
browser shell to put the WebKit port into. I am not sure what your
plans for the renderer were, but these days I don't think it is smart
to write your own renderer anymore when we have WebKit. But obviously
that is up to you.

I will admit I was kind of wanting to write my own browser anyhow, so
if you have other plans that is fine. As I said, options are always
good.

Regards,
Ryan

There's no reason that Themis couldn't support a custom one as well as web kit or any other rendering engine. One of the primary goals of the project was to make a modular browser, so that it would be flexible enough to support alternate components. At the moment, however, I want to shore up the existing framework that I, Mark Hellegers, and others put together. There's a lot of code in Themis that really needs to be rewritten, cleaned up, and rethought; getting Javascript support working is just one of those facets. Beyond that, I don't really have any plans. While I do want to write a Themis specific rendering engine, it probably will be best to use web kit for the rendering engine in a 1.0 release.

Raymond