[haiku] Re: Non-BFS file system support

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:38:00 +0100 CET

> As I just ordered my Atom 330 motherboard on which Haiku will live, I
> just started thinking about the development road ahead of me, and
> realized that I may need to access certain repositories under Linux
> in
> order to get the sources for some libraries because I don't think
> that
> git has been ported to BeOS/Haiku at this point. (I hopefully am
> wrong
> about that.) As a result, I may need to access either a FAT32
> formatted
> flash drive or ext3 format partition. I know that FAT32 is more
> likely
> to be supported but has a file system driver/add-on for ext2 or ext3
> been done for Haiku yet? And as long as I'm asking a question, and
> that
> this is slightly related, has Samba support been done or recently
> ported?

There is an ext2/3 addon that should work, but I'm not sure if it works
for writing yet.

Same for reiserfs.

FAT should work, but is really really discouraged for holding source
codes.
The way FAT keeps time is too crappy to work with make (and likely jam
as well).

There is an ongoing port of Samba but I don't know how far it is (the
old versions might work with restrictions), but those don't include
kernel file system clients, so you can't "mount" shares directly.

I tried using NFS, but it's really slow. I don't plan on working
further on the v2 client though, instead of adding caching to it I'd
rather write a brand new NFSv4.

I just thought about HFS, but I'm not sure we have a client, and it's
case insensitive anyway.

Maybe NTFS would actually be a good candidate ?

François.