[haiku] Re: Non-BFS file system support

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:15:08 -0500

André Braga wrote:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 01:16, Raymond C. Rodgers <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At the moment, I'm mainly thinking about porting V8, the Javascript engine
in Google's Chrome, if it hasn't already been done.

Not meaning to rain on anyone's parade, V8 is actually behind the pack
of current Javascript engines, beaten soundly by Tracemonkey (the
tracing trees JITted incarnation of Spidermonkey) and by Squirrelfish
Extreme (the JITted incarnation of Squirrelfish, WebKit's
rewritten-for-speed but still "plain old interpreted" JS engine).

Tongue-in-cheek-ly speaking, V8 only excels on... V8 benchmarks. In
real-world applications it's just spanked by the alternatives.

Eventually those three engines will be faster than the current leader
(which is Tracemonkey in math-intensive operations and Squirrelfish
Extreme in DOM-intensive manipulations), but I don't think V8 is going
to blaze the trail anytime soon.

Cheers,
A.

I haven't run any benchmarks, but from personal use, it seems to me that V8's processing is consistently faster than Firefox 3.0 or IE 7 under Windows XP SP3 on my machine (Athlon 64 x2 4800+ based). Nonetheless, I'm sure that it will be better to start fresh with V8 than to try to pick up the pieces of the old Javascript implementation that I was trying to get together 4+ years ago.

Raymond