[openbeos] Re: Joining the admin team?

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 22:35:46 +0200

Hi Jorge,

On 5/11/07, Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I guess that currently the work doesn't require a finance expert, so
> I'd appreciate your help. First of all, we should probably get the
> email notifications for donors setup. After that, I'd love to see a
> way to setup a PayPal subscription where you can send a
> monthly/quarterly donation (pre-defined or user-chosen amount). I can
> give you access to our website, so you can extend the donations page.

You (and the other admins?) may be out of the loop, because this has
already been done. Check it out for yourself:

http://haiku-os.org/community/donating_to_haiku

Ah, from what I can see, Michael edited the page less than a day ago,
so maybe that's why I missed it. :)

So, while Michael is correct in that the margins per item are lower with
CafePress, I think he fails to realize that the potential for *overall
revenue* would be significantly higher, since Haiku Inc./Michael alone
could never possibly handle the variety of products that CafePress
enables you to offer. Haiku just doesn't have the resources to produce
as many goods individually and to handle orders and shipments manually.

Yep, fully agreed, but we really can't handle that because we lack the
manpower. We need volunteers who take care of the shop and designers
who create the shirts and other items.

> If anyone has more suggestions please join our efforts!

So, it's not like people do not have ideas or do not make suggestions,
but it's rather a problem of receptiveness (or lack thereof) on the part
of Haiku Inc.. You come up with all sorts of great ideas, and for one
reason or another, they all fall into deaf ears. If not, ask Karl vom
Dorff about his Haiku Bounty initiative.

I can't even remember why this failed. I think there were legal issues
which we wanted to address and at that time our website didn't allow
for managing a bounties page. Maybe there were also other problems...

To find the right people, Haiku Inc. also needs to articulate what it
needs beyond the just "we need experts in <FILL IN THE BLANK>!" on an
email message which will go out of sight in no time. You need to give
more details on what specific skill sets are needed and what the
requirements/goals are for each role are, and you need to do it more
prominently, openly and persistently. The Haiku website sounds like the
logical place for this.

Yes, we indeed need to do that. Maybe OSNews and other news sites
could grab that news and help us spread the word. I'll put it on my
TODO (currently working on the distro guidelines).

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald