[openbeos] Re: Javascript-capable Browser

  • From: "David Enderson" <DEnderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:41:46 -0600

Erik,

Since I was the one who started this whole discussion thread, it seemed =
best that I respond to you.  :-)

> >I've been thinking for a while.  I've heard it said several=20
> times here
> >that a Java-script capable browser is KEY to an OS being used as a
> >person's primary desktop OS.  I know this is true in my case.
>=20
> Absolutely agree.  I would love to stop cursing unnecessary=20
> javascript=20
> usage because Net+ can't handle it.
>=20
> >I think it is in OpenBeOS's best interests to do whatever it takes to
> >get a GOOD javascript browser released with R1 that is rock solid.  I
>=20
> As Michael said, we can't spare the resources.  What really=20
> bothers me,=20
> though, is that every time this topic ("BeOS needs a *real*=20
> browser!")=20
> comes up, it seems like a new browser project is spawned.  I=20
> don't want=20
> to rain on anybody's parade, because a lot of cool ideas have been=20
> bandied about and seem to actually be getting some=20
> development done, but=20
> I dearly wish folks would set their pet projects aside and=20
> band together=20
> to see one (just one is all we absolutely need) through to=20
> completion. =20
> Given the *enormous* effort put into its development, Mozilla (in its=20
> BeZilla guise) would seem to be the obvious and logical choice. =20
> Whatever project you go with, getting 10 people working on a single=20
> project is going to result in much more progress than 1 person each=20
> working on 10 different projects.  So come on, you BeOS=20
> browser coders,=20
> get it together!  I know people have made this rant before, and I=20
> apologize for subjecting folks to it yet again, but something in me=20
> needed to say it. =3D(
>=20

Surprisingly enough, I agree with you.  I guess I should explain what I =
really meant when I started this discussion thread.  What I meant was =
not for the OpenBeOS project to lose some of its developers from =
existing teams to a browser project.  I agree completely that OBOS =
cannot spare the resources.  What I meant was simply for OBOS to be a =
common rallying point for the browser people.  Have OBOS (probably =
Daniel) choose/convince one of the most capable and dedicated browser =
people to be team lead, and have that person recruit most of the current =
browser developers into the team.  Then that team could hash out which =
browser they were going to perfect for BeOS and OpenBeOS.

What I meant in my last paragraph when I said "OBOS to be a common =
rallying point" is that this project finally gives the browser people a =
real reason to unite.  We all seem to agree that BeOS / OBOS needs a =
GOOD Javascript Browser that we can show off to our friends who use =
other operating systems.

I believe that if the OBOS project were to trumpet this belief loud and =
long, that it could get the browser people to unite under our banner, =
and REAL progress could soon be realized--even before R1.  In that =
best-case scenario, the existing BeOS community would benefit =
substantially by retaining userbase.  All of this with no loss of =
resources to the OBOS project, and with tremendous gain realized when we =
all start buying R1 discs and handing them out to our friends.  :-)

--David