[openbeos] Re: Javascript-capable Browser

  • From: Linus Almström <linalm-7@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 13:18:20 +0100 (MET)

> >I feel I have to disagree on the BeZilla thing here. Obviously OBOS
> >needs a good web browser to be competetative. Having a high quality
> >port of Mozilla would defenitly be A Good Thing, since it is standard
> >(well... more standard than Net+ anyway) , standards-compliant, and
> >well maintained.
> <snip>
> >We need to find a web browser project that aims for this. AFAIK, the
> >only one that comes even close is NetOptimist, but I'm not sure about
> >how development is going.
> I agree. Mozilla is in the process of being a Good Thing, but I also think
> it's big and oafly. Procton mentioned that he was in process of porting the
> AthOS port of Konqueror, ABrowse, to BeOS. If we want a native browser,
> NetOptimist seems to be a reasonable thought, but if we want a browser
> quickly, perhaps finishing the port wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yup...I'm porting ABrowse and its not much porting left.
khtml and qt compiles, but not tested so I guess theres quite a few
bugs to squash. What is left is also the client, but that should be
pretty trivial.

When Im finnished with the port, I would love someone to take a look
at kssl or similiar, because I really think a ssl layer is a must. It
is as needed as javascript.

I have not had a chance to test the khtml or qt parts, since I have
not been home for a month.

I hope to get home this week and porting the acctual client, and start
testing khtml and qt. A alpha release should not be much work left.

Regards

/Procton