[openbeos] Re: Javascript-capable Browser

  • From: "Joakim Lundborg" <cjl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 12:40:34 +0100 (CET)

I feel I have to disagree on the BeZilla thing here. Obviously OBOS
needs a good web browser to be competetative. Having a high quality
port of Mozilla would defenitly be A Good Thing, since it is standard
(well... more standard than Net+ anyway) , standards-compliant, and
well maintained.

The downside however is that no matter how good port you make of it, it
wont become a BeOS native app, and hence won't be using many of the
advanced features of the BeOS. That is, it wont be using the BeOS
mailing system, it wont be using translators for rendering images. It
wont be using add-ons the Be way. It wont be replicant-capable. It wont
be using attributes in stored bookmarks. It won't store bookmarks in a
folder. And so on.

I seriously think that the preferred/standard/sanctioned by/developed
by OBOS browser should take advantage of these advanced features of
BeOS. Also, as already pointed out, a good web browser is central in
using a computer today. Consequently a good native web browser should
be an integral part of the OBOS Experience (tm), the feeling that
everything works like it should, the feeling that made us love the
BeOS.

We need to find a web browser project that aims for this. AFAIK, the
only one that comes even close is NetOptimist, but I'm not sure about
how development is going.

Also, I seem to remember having a 3.03b or something version of Net+,
that actually supported JavaScript. Anyone knows what happened to this=3F
Lost in the BeIA dungeons=3F

- Joakim Lundborg