[openbeos] Re: Incorrect File Sizes

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 17:21:49 +0100 CET

"Scott MacMaster" <zqxh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just noticed that Be doesn't correctly calculate file sizes.  I'm
> not sure
> of the details but I think the bug is probably in the BFS rather then
> tracker.  I wonder if this has been dealt with in OpenBFS?
>
> The bug is simply, the size of attributes aren't added to the file
> size.

That's not a bug, that's wanted. As a user you would be very confused
if the file sizes would always change, or just be different on BeOS, or
when you copy it to another volume, etc.
You can't do that, it would make a horrible user experience (hey, even
Windows doesn't do this for NTFS).
No, it would be very nice to know how much space a file needs on disk,
including the attributes - unfortunately, BFS don't have a single
counter for that, so that you'd need to iterate over all attributes to
calculate their size. It would be very simple to do, but I want to have
that functionality both in Tracker and BFS, but optionally, not instead
of the real file size.

Adios...
   Axel.