[openbeos] Re: Incorrect File Sizes

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 11:16:30 +0100

On 2002-12-04 at 02:45:35 [+0100], openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I just noticed that Be doesn't correctly calculate file sizes.  I'm not
> sure of the details but I think the bug is probably in the BFS rather
> then tracker.  I wonder if this has been dealt with in OpenBFS?
>
> The bug is simply, the size of attributes aren't added to the file size.

No, I don't think that is the bug. The bug is that there is no limit to the
number of attributes and more problematically no limit to the size of
anything being stored in attribute. As I understand things it's more than
possible to have files with 0 bytes with massive attributes, ie. hide lots
of BLOBS in the attributes.

This is a real problem for backup programs or anything similar where the
total size is limited.

Charlie