[haiku] Re: How to improve Haiku

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:11:00 +0200

On 27.04.2014 01:19, Joseph Prostko wrote:
On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 5:47 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
It's too big for GCI, but it has been on your GSoC list of ideas for years
(Trac Plugin: "Test and Commit Patch" functionality [1]).

[1] https://www.haiku-os.org/community/gsoc/2014/ideas

Ingo, are the requirements for it in Melange?  I searched for it in
Melange, but didn't seem to find it, although that could be because I
am not participating in GSoC this year.

If you are thinking of Jack Laxsons GSoC 2011 project, IIRC it didn't include this feature. So I don't think there's anything related in Melange. We don't even seem to have a Trac ticket for it.

I'm asking since I "may" have
to implement something similar for work, depending on how things go
over the next week.  Obviously if it gets greenlighted, I'd actually
get around to completing it, assuming I want a paycheck and all.  :)

That would be nice. :-)

In the meantime I'll search through the mailing lists, since I'm
pretty sure some lengthy discussion has already happened on the topic.

There was a bit of discussion, but I don't think it was that long. A basic incarnation of the feature could work like this:

* A patch is attached to ticket.
* A "Commit" button is displayed beside the patch entry in the ticket (for users with the respective permission). * If clicked, the button is disabled/replaced by a status message and the patch is sent to the build server, which
  - applies it to the latest successfully building sources,
  - builds an image,
  - on success, commits the patch and pushes it to the repository,
  - sends the result (error/success) back to Trac.
* The patch status in the ticket is updated to the received result.

Further improvements could be:
* Send the patch to the build server immediately after it has been attached and let it check whether the patch applies and whether the coding style is OK. That would give the contributor quick feedback in case of trivial issues. * The build server could run tests. Assuming we'll eventually have a big test suite collection, it might be excessive to run them all, so the committer would need to select the test suites to run after pressing "Commit".
* Support not only patches but also pull URLs.
* ...

CU, Ingo