[haiku] Re: How to improve Haiku

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 17:45:38 +0200

Hi,

Am 28.04.2014 17:25, schrieb Barrett:
The case you are describing may happen, but the average should be 2/10
patches delayed and not 8/10 like now. And if not clear, the case i'm
referring mostly is something like the ticket at the begin of the
thread, it's unacceptable that a one line patch wait 4 months before to
get applied. And it's also unacceptable to wait a week for a "please fix
style", this is a check which any dev can do, isn't it? After all it's
not a catastrophe, just room for improvements .

I would like to provide another perspective, just to broaden the picture perhaps.

I am no longer subscribed to the ticket mailing list, so I only see new tickets and ticket updates when I am the owner of the component, or someone specifically assigns a ticket to me. I am no longer subscribed, since it was taken me too much time to keep up with the mails.

For the few remaining tickets, I have sometimes been involved in the review of patches. Please look at the following example:

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/10134

I am grateful for the code contribution. I think it contains nice new features for DriveSetup, but at the same time, I don't think the patch should be applied as is. You can read the discussion in the ticket, the screenshots provide a nice overview of what it is about. At a minimum please read the last comment from the patch contributor to understand why this is "yet another patch rotting in Trac".

Is this example of a patch history representative of more of the patches in Trac which do not get applied? I mean this as an honest question. Anybody who does not know the answer with confidence should have no right to claim there is a general problem with the process of submitting patches to the Haiku project. I am not saying there isn't a problem, I just don't know from personal experience.

Certainly it would be really cool if the experience for new contributors is as painless as possible. But it can't be more painless than possible.

Best regards,
-Stephan