[haiku] Re: How to improve Haiku

  • From: Barrett <b.vitruvio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 17:25:28 +0200

> > In the latter
> >> case, we wouldn't want people accepting the patch just because it
> >> neither got reviewed nor caused any discussion
> >
> > Can't see why this should happen, committers should be hardly skilled for
> > such purpose so that who press the commit button at least know what he is
> > pushing.
>
> It would be really nice if the committers would have unlimited
> knowledge, but I am afraid that's not true. What if someone sends a
> new feature that involves technologies noone else is familiar with?
> What if the only developers familiar with the affected part of code
> are inactive for a longer period of time? What if there is only one
> developer familiar with a particular subsystem?

Assuming that 90/100 patches are small, and the probability of having a
newcomer send a patch for a complex aspect is low, i'm just saying that no
one (or at least i hope) here is going to apply a patch without being sure
of what it imply.

The case you are describing may happen, but the average should be 2/10
patches delayed and not 8/10 like now. And if not clear, the case i'm
referring mostly is something like the ticket at the begin of the thread,
it's unacceptable that a one line patch wait 4 months before to get
applied. And it's also unacceptable to wait a week for a "please fix
style", this is a check which any dev can do, isn't it? After all it's not
a catastrophe, just room for improvements .