[haiku] Re: Fixed width user guide

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:32:02 -0700

Hi Humdinger,

Humdinger wrote:
The actual design was done by Stephan and François, IIRC. All their fault. :)

Ah! Now we know who to charge for the crime! Sending the police right over. :P

I disagree. Moving the title below the logo would unnecessarily waste space. The space in front of H1/2/3 serves a purpose: It helps to distinguish blocks of content and also helps when scrolling down a longer page.

I agree that the space in front of H1/2/3 serves a purpose, but I think it is a bit excessive now. A 30-40% reduction in those values would provide more than adequate visual distinction between sections, while the white space saved in doing so would offset the space that a page title at the top of the content area would use. To actually show what I mean (and for visual comparison purposes), here is a screenshot showing the current layout (right) side by side to a variation with adjusted spacing values (left):

http://haikuzone.net/images/2009-08-21_hug-kayout-compare.png

These are relatively minor tweaks that I think would help improve the already awesome user guide. But I don't feel that strong (as you probably do) about it, so feel free to take them or leave them. :)

Either way, keep up the good work! Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki