[haiku] Re: Fixed width user guide

  • From: Julius Bullinger <julius.bullinger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:55:07 +0200

On 17.08.2009 16:06, Humdinger wrote:
Hi there!

Though this is maybe a topic for the doc mailing list, I think the
visuals of the guide are important to many more people than are
subscribed there.

I always felt that the user guide looks pretty decent with a certain
width but doesn't any more when the browser window is resized above,
say, 800 pixels.
Now that the fixed width website is coming (Yay!), I was wondering how
you guys feel about adopting the new website style (CSS) for the guide.

Regards,
Humdinger

Hi,

I don't like fixed-width web pages, usually. But since the User Guide is mainly text, which is hard to read width more than ~60 characters per line, I'd suggest using a max-width of 750px. This keeps the numbers of chars per line on a reasonable number, but still makes it possible to view it on an smaller screen (800px minus ~50px for browser chrome and scrollbars). Maybe you could even add a min-width of, let's say 640px. This would a good compromise between screen size and flexible styling (enough place for the logo and screenshots).

Using a max-width would also mean that screenshots shouldn't be wider, otherwise it looked awkward.

Regards,
Julius