[haiku] Re: Fixed width user guide

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:55:34 -0700

Howdy,

Humdinger wrote:
Jorge G. Mare wrote:
I have only one question-suggestion: is there any reason why the page title is on the header and to the right (above the navigation links)? I find that to be a very unnatural place, and I think it would better follow the natural reading flow if you had it at the top of the "content" area.

I guess I got used to it: The current page title and the navigation to the prev/next topic is top right.

Well, you can't argue with that, can you? :P

Seriously now, it is common to have the navigation outside of the content area (ie., within the header area like in the guide); but the title is an intrinsic part of the content, so you would naturally expect it to be in the content area of the page, and not elsewhere. When I first saw the guide that you created (which I really really like(d), btw), my first reaction was: oh wait, but where is the page title here? :)

I also see another advantage to having it there: If you put it left-aligned under the logo, plus the necessary vertical white space around it so it doesn't look totally cramped, you're wasting precious vertical space.

Agreed, we don't want to waste valuable screen real estate. Perhaps you could then want to consider reducing the H1 class margin-top from the current 50px to something like 30px. That would definitely save quite a bit of white space. ;)

>    a) Put the complementary text is to the right of the logo (so it
> would read "HAIKU USER GUIDE").

This can potentially clash with esp. long titles.

Not if you moved the title to where it should be. ;)

For now, I'll commit the limited-width changes of the css. Maybe we'll find a solution to fit in a "User Guide" somewhere. (BTW, what font is used for that complementray text?)

I don't remember, but the website header artwork is included in Haiku as a Wonderbrush file, so it should be easy to create variants of logo for use elsewhere (ie., HAIKU USER GUIDE, HAIKU FILES, etc.).

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki