[openbeos] Re: Distropia

  • From: Ronald Vos <egregius@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:19:13 +0100

> Why not set up some kinda system wich people can log into and choose their
> aditional packages to be downloaded, or to be loaded from the (second) cd.
> All in all keep the OS distro itself as small as functonally possible
> (browser is a basic part of it!!), but keep other thing optional (only, too
> much options kill it's simplicity)

Just wanted to note, from my personal experience of working in a
store: people don't like to make choices. They like to be able to
modify when they want it, but otherwise for something to be done with
minimum effort. I've learned not ask: 1 hour or 24 hour or 72 hour
serivce? I just say: "Your films could be done in 1 hour.." and check
if they don't object to paying extra. Makes my boss happy too :D

I've noticed this change with various Linux distros as well. Corel
Linux had 3 or 4 main sets of packages. Developper, games, utilities
and something else. You could (de)select an entire group, or go app by
app. Red Hat 6 had it as well I think. New Fedora and Ubuntu don't.
BeOS Dev ed 1.1 doesn't ask you anything either. If you're like me and
don't like to uninstall unnecessary things, you're spending hours
trying to figure out what each app does before you install it. Not
asking all these things will make installing take a third of the time
otherwise needed, and ironically improve user experience.

> One more thing here is that it should be great to make it possible to save
> the basic OS settings, done after install, to set back when reinstalling the
> whole thing is done, in this way one would get a clean OS with the previous
> settings of the bassics so it would work out of the box (setting
> gateway/subnet/background/tracker/deskbar/screensaver/etc.
>
> Greets, Rob
>
> PS: Sorry, I couldn't resist on giving some rabling of my thoughts :o)

I second this! Recently, trying out various OSes, I've had to
reinstall WinXP several times. I spent 45 minutes installing, and then
1.5 hour tweaking the install, again and again. Of course there's
Ghost to do exactly what I aim for, but I'm lazy. I just want to point
to a 'settings' file. Or copy and overwrite a folder.