[openbeos] Re: Distropia

  • From: Ronald Vos <egregius@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:21:39 +0100

> Yes, keep the Installer and the install process as simple as possible.
> (The way it is.)
>
> If we can defer keymap, network, timezone, account, locale and other
> setup to post-install, we sure can defer 3'rd party additions.

Problem: language the installer is in, keymap can be required to fill
in info. What would be great though: a "load settings from disk"
option. Settings which you can save post-install.

> We don't want to merge Installer and Boneyard just to let people
> download a few apps from the Installer.

You've got a good point. It's the way a lot of Linux distro's do it
however, in order to give users the most up to date software possible
(where do they get their bandwidth anyway?).
A download+installer app after the OS installs might be the best
solution, partially because people might have trouble connecting and
require special measures to get online. The only caveat is that you
have 2 'install moments', times where the user needs to be at the
keyboard. This is acceptable though. The problem with for example the
Windows and Ubuntu Linux installers is is that their installation
takes about 45 minutes, *but you can't leave the computer the entire
time*. You can't hit enter and read a book for 45 minutes, you have to
be there, for the 3 or 4 times extra input is required. BeOS did a
great job: determine a tiny amount of settings, and hit go. It helped
that the installer was ultra fast as well.

Just my two buckets of bikeshed paint,
Ronald Vos