[openbeos] Re: Distropia

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:10:58 +0100 CET

Ronald Vos <egregius@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Yes, keep the Installer and the install process as
> > simple as possible. (The way it is.)
> Problem: language the installer is in, keymap can be
> required to fill in info.

Ah, yes. You're right. There is some typing in the Installer,
in the volume initialize dialog, in bootman and in DriveSetup.

I guess the quick fix is to have the CD bootscript run a Locale
preference dialog of some sort before running Installer.

With all the "LiveCD" proliferation, we should think through how we
want it to work. Should there be a LiveCD-or-Installer menu, or should
the Installer be only one of the items on the LiveCD desktop? Or should
it work the way R5 works? And what about usinga USB memory, a floppy or
an NFS mount as your home folder? How can we improve the LiveCD user
experience? (caching to minimize seek time)

I recommend trying a MacOS install CD. (On a Mac.. ;) At least pre-X. I
don't remember how the MacOS X CDs work. It's not -that- different from
BeOS, but it's refreshing compared to Windows and the big Linux
installers. All IMHO of course. :)

/Jonas Sundström.                  www.kirilla.com