[haiku] Re: BeShare

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 15:30:48 -0700

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 06:20:15PM -0700, I wrote:

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 02:09:32PM -0400, Bryan Varner wrote:

I seem to recall there being a method to do this at one time… It may
have been only implemented in that other QT based beshare client back in
the 2002-2003 era?

I looked into it at one point in the java-based client, but never
bothered — I think it required special support (or an option enabled)
on the muscled server, or there was another ‘bot’ (like Atrus) that
mediated the transfers. The issue there was that it basically
bottlenecked all the file transfer data through that poor third party
(server, or bot) and would kill bandwidth.

This is what I'd think would be the problem. Beshare/muscled is designed
specifically to avoid
the bottleneck of a single server.

I’m not sure if this one included the ‘both ends firewalled’ transfer
support.

As it happens, I downloaded Unizone the other day, as I'd love to have it on
my Raspberry Pi,
which runs 24/7, unlike my other power-guzzling machines.>
In any case, it still has the "I'm firewalled" option. Dunno if it functions
differently from
BeShare, but I doubt it. I'll try to ask (maintainer) Monni, when he's next
around on chat.

I chatted with Monni this morning on BeShare. and Unizone does indeed allow
firewall-to-firewall
transfer, but it does it by passing the file data through the server! Not too
keen on that idea...

-- Pete --