[haiku] Re: Idea for getting attention and possibly more ported software

  • From: "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 07:48:50 +0000

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 07:00:35 +0200, Adrien Destugues wrote:

* We don't usually run Haiku on them. Our nightly builds are compiled
from Linux or FreeBSD.

I'm getting ready to try that (FreeBSD-current amd64). Do you use gcc or
clang? Bootstrap or not?

Haiku trees are on UFS2, so I should be able to use-xattr.

I tried with NetBSD-current (7.99.15) i386, a little tweak to configure enables
me to build the tools, but then the infrastructure proved too hostile, missing
<endian.h> or extended attributes not recognized or supported because
source-tree structure seems geared to specific host OSes, while cross-compiling
Linux toolchains or NetBSD is not constrained by a build system that looks for
specific host OSes.

I have cross-compiled NetBSD from FreeBSD but believe the success ratio is
better when building from NetBSD than cross-compiling.

I think NetBSD would have the capability of building Haiku with more
compatible, flexible build structure, but there is always the hidden
possibility that some bug within NetBSD could mess up cross-compiling Haiku, or
a Linux toolchain for that matter.

But all this leaves me with a fairly clear plan of what to do from FreeBSD.

I'm surprised to see that nightly builds are not compiled from Haiku.

Tom