[haiku] Re: Idea for getting attention and possibly more ported software

  • From: "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 03:40:13 +0000

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 12:48 AM, Thomas Mueller <mueller6723@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm surprised to see that nightly builds are not compiled from Haiku.

Besides being a large factor slower than Linux (I'm actually not sure
any of our nightlies are built on FreeBSD any more) - keeping the host
environment updated would be a real hassle. Since the Haiku build
system doesn't create a cross-compiling toolchain, it relies on the
host environment to be updated enough to compile Haiku on. Major
changes to headers, for example, often require updating the host Haiku
in order to build Haiku from it - and it's a real PITA when that
happens.

- Urias

Cross-compiling NetBSD creates a toolchain, this is also true for Linux (see
trac.clfs.org : Cross Linux From Scratch).

I didn't realize building Haiku would be so sensitive to the fine details of
the host environment, including extended attributes.

Fixing all the details to make Haiku buildable on NetBSD would involve finding
many needles in the haystack and would really need somebody familiar with the
source-tree structure.

I knew or believed compiling current Haiku from R1Alpha4 November 2012 was not
workable because GCC 4 would not compile from GCC 2.x, but if major changes to
headers require updating the host Haiku, how do you update the host Haiku if
not from a recent previous Haiku?

Tom