[haiku] Idea for getting attention and possibly more ported software

  • From: "Thomas Stover" <cts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 22:38:41 -0500 (CDT)

I've been on a kick the last few days exploring the range of hosted continuous
integration services that are either entirely for open source software or are
free for F/OSS projects. A typical implementation is something along the lines
of:

a) register a github or similar public repo; configure web hook etc
b) deploy a vm with a fresh os image, checkout code
c) run a build script; cap max run time e.g. 30-40min
d) capture output and email or post on web
e) destroy the vm

The technology for such a thing is either purpose made, or jenkins or
something. Right now you can find services for linux/windows/osx. (btw I'm
looking for others)

Sure would be cool if people could configure their aiming-for-cross-platform
open source project to do test builds on a haiku instance along side others. I
don't know anything about how the haiku downloads builds are done now, but
perhaps there are some unused hours a day of crunch time on what you have now.

Don't mean to backseat drive. Just think of this a fan mail.

-CTS