[haiku] BeShare

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Haiku <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 20:16:31 -0700

Hi,

I posted about this in the Forums a few weeks ago, but this list may have
a slightly different readership, so I thought I ought to bring it up here, too.

With the loss of BeBits and HaikuWare, and the Repo system being rather
"in flux" at the moment, I'd like to offer BeShare as a useful alternative way
of distributing software and other files. I see a small core of "BeSharers",
but I don't see why the user base couldn't be much wider.

To perhaps help the cause a bit, I upgraded BeShare with a couple of feature
improvements. In particular, a sharer can now add informational text that
will be available with the query results. This should make it easier to find
out what a shared file is actually *for*! [Often a bit of a mystery, before...]
(Unfortynately you can't search on that text, but it still helps.)

The icons displayed in the query results have also been improved. Before,
only the icon associated with thebasic mimetype got shown, but now if
a file has its own custom icon, that is what gets shown. It also now knows
vector icons.

I decided to also up the version to "3.00", to avoid confusion with a [not
quite working] vesion on HaikuDepot. It has both BeOS and Haiku versions,
from the same source, as I (and some others) still need BeOS compatibility.
There is also now a "3.01" which is the same, except for the location of
the 'shared' and 'downloads' folders, so it can be used in an .hpkg, which
is going to put the app in a read-only folder.

The app is of course being shared on the main tycomsystems server --
depending who's on line. It's also on my website at
http://goodeveca.net/BeShare

Because I've found some not-so-obvious gotchas using BeShare, I've written
"The BeShare Handbook", which can be found in the same places.

Thanks,

-- Pete --