[haiku] Re: BeShare

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 18:35:06 -0700

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 07:53:56PM +0200, Szikla Szilárd wrote:

Hi,

i used BeShare long time ago, but i can't remember, what kind of extra
function can the chat-support provide us?

The Be/Haiku community isn’t so big, so why fragment it to IRC and BeShare
chat?

I'm not much of a "chatter", so it's the file-sharing that's important to me.

I'm not sure it's worth trying to merge them.. Most BeShare chats I've seen are
concerned with files being shared, or other closely related threads. IRC is
much more wide-ranging. [Which is why I don't spend time there myself (:-/)
A major time drain...]

Is it possible? The client need to contact to a BeShare server and an IRC
server too in the same time for that. Maybe the BeShare server could send the
IRC address for the client, so it can know, where the current BeShare-server
IRC channel is.

There might be some way you could utilize the "URI passing" feature of BeShare;
if you type
a URL into your chat, others see it as a clickable link and it will open a
browser window. You
could have a typed-in IRC channel be clickable too, to open a suitable client.

-- Pete --