[haiku] Re: BeShare

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 18:20:15 -0700

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 02:09:32PM -0400, Bryan Varner wrote:

On Aug 11, 2015, at 12:50 PM, Bryan Varner <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Pete,
Like you I love BeShare and see its value to the community. I also
appreciate your recent work on it.
The one change I'd like to see would be to make it share files in a way
that you don't have to punch a hole in your firewall.
I don't mind doing this, but I think it turns many people off to using
it. Anyway around this? Like how BitTorrents or Gnutella do it?

If BitTorrents can do it, I suppose it must be possible, but I've no idea how.

I'm pretty weak on the details of how internet connectilons are handled through
a router.
For instance, if your browser opens a port to contact a website, the router
knows to send
replies back to that port on that machine, even though it isn't otherwise
exposed to the
outside world. I think the necessary info is in the outgoing packet, and reply
packets have
enough of that to be directed properly.

Maybe it's possible somehow for suitable details to be sent to the server,
which could pass
those on to the peer you were trying to contact, but I don't know.

Jim
I seem to recall there being a method to do this at one time… It may have
been only implemented in that other QT based beshare client back in the
2002-2003 era? What was it called? I don’t remember… I know the author
went by VitViper (Vitality was his name, iirc).

I looked into it at one point in the java-based client, but never bothered
— I think it required special support (or an option enabled) on the
muscled server, or there was another ‘bot’ (like Atrus) that mediated
the transfers. The issue there was that it basically bottlenecked all the
file transfer data through that poor third party (server, or bot) and would
kill bandwidth.

Tis is what I'd think would be the problem. Beshare/muscled is designed
specifically to avoid
the bottleneck of a single server.

Found it. Ozone was forked to Unizone….

http://unizone.sourceforge.net/ <http://unizone.sourceforge.net/>

I’m not sure if this one included the ‘both ends firewalled’ transfer
support.

As it happens, I downloaded Unizone the other day, as I'd love to have it on my
Raspberry Pi,
which runs 24/7, unlike my other power-guzzling machines. I got it compiled
and it runs, but
downloads just don't work, which rather negates its point. I haven't had time
to look deeper,
but I guess it works for others so it's probably Pi-related. (Though muscled
6.02 works just
fine there.)

In any case, it still has the "I'm firewalled" option. Dunno if it functions
differently from
BeShare, but I doubt it. I'll try to ask (maintainer) Monni, when he's next
around on chat.

-- Pete --