[haiku] Re: BePDF documentation

  • From: Nicholas Blachford <nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:17:34 +0000

Humdinger wrote:

>So, the question I'd like to put forward is, do we
>
>a) keep the PDF format?
>a1) keep the "source" in Gobe format?
>a2) convert the "source" to OpenOffice so it's editable for everyone, just not (yet?) under Haiku?
>b) scrap the PDF and go XHTML like the rest of the docu?
>c) have a better idea?
>
>The main problem with going HTML is the slooow startup of our default Firefox. >Is NetSurf far along enough to be Haiku's fast docu viewer (maybe even as a further stripped down version)?

a) For output it's fine, for source no.
a1) No.
a2) No (see below).
b) Yes.
c) No.

I'd keep the document *source* in XHTML.

XHTML being XML based is both human and machine readable. It can also be edited in anything - you don't need a special editor for it. XHTML is also based on strict rules, this makes it easier to check for format errors and to convert to other formats.

At work we use a dedicated app for documentation and it produces XML. We then take that and convert it into html and pdf.

--

Why not use Open Office?

Well for a start it's not usable on Haiku, making it of rather limited use...

If you plan on producing a big PDF I expect you'll run into a lot of problems with a word processor. They are not designed for big documents and are generally not up to the job - MS Word certainly isn't.

I've never been a big fan of OO, I don't know about more recent versions but it used to be slow and had an absolutely colossal memory footprint, I can't even begin to comprehend why a word processor would require 200MB of RAM. I can remember back to when it used to take 5 minutes just to start - yes, it really was that slow.

As for Gobe, If you try to edit a big doc you'll soon find the problem that it crashes with large docs (Gobe themselves confirmed this to me when I reported it - quite some time ago...).

Anyway just my er 0.2 cents (the pound isn't doing so well these days).

------

BTW if you haven't see it:

http://www.osnews.com/story/20651/BeGeistert_019_Alphaville

There's a few more names on the pics now, if you want to know who's doing Haiku you'll see several of them on the very last picture on page 6.

--

Nicholas Blachford
nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx