[haiku] Re: BePDF documentation

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 20:24:02 +0100

Am Freitag, den 19.12.2008, 13:40 -0500 schrieb Raymond C. Rodgers:
> Stephan Assmus wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When people print documentation, they will most likely print it on paper
> > made out of the Great Bear Rain Forrest and similar last resorts of Nature.
> >
> > I wouldn't actively put thought into making it easy for people to print. Do
> > you know what the per head consumption of paper is, especially in the US?
> > It's completely off the scale and it's getting more, not less.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > -Stephan
> >

> Well, not to be hostile or start an argument but in those terms, why
> don't we just go ahead and remove the printing support from Haiku? That
> will prevent anyone from consuming paper [via Haiku at least], and
> reduce the damage done to the environment that way. Don't get me wrong,
> I think that printing is occasionally necessary, and I do agree that it
> can be very wasteful and damaging to the environment in multiple ways,
> but I think that if the operating system is going to support printing,
> then people are going to print regardless of what format the
> documentation may be in. Whether it looks right when it's printed or
> not, people are going to do it as long as there is printing support. So
> why fight a document file format because it looks right when printed?

My point was that my priorities would not be to use a documentation
format that has it's strenths primarily when printing, *even* if many
users may want to print it. I just cannot support that. But instead, I
find it more important to have great hypertext capabilities. That makes
documentation so much more useful. Therefor, I find HTML much better
suited. I am not even saying don't use PDF because it's worse at
hypetext features than HTML (hm), I just refuse to recommend it, because
it supports printing better. There is really tons of situations where
people print stuff for no *really* good reason and that's just not
justifiable and one should not support it with giving it consideration.

Best regards,
-Stephan