[haiku] Re: BePDF documentation

  • From: "Alan Burkes" <firstakir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 09:40:52 -0800

Just use HTML. If you think it takes too long for the browser to load,
just think about how long it takes every other OS to load Help. Right
now, running XP on my 'supermodern' machine, it takes up to four
seconds to load up the main help documentation. However, on my last
computer, it took anywhere between ten and twenty seconds to load
help. When XP was still new, it took an eternity. It taught me to keep
my fingers far far away from that F1 key.

... Back to topic....

If we use HTML, we have the benefit of longevity and online browsing,
which the other formats can't promise to do easily.

But I might as well supply an idea for question c), too. We could just
make our StyledEdit support ReST (read: ReStructured Text), add
hyperlinks to it, and write our documentation. ReST is simple because
it uses markups like HTML does, so you don't need any special editor
to create documents, but it's more simple then HTML because it doesn't
have any fancy style elements. Furthermore, it's human-readable, so
you don't even need to make a parser (although, if we go that way,
there are several open-source parsers available).

For more information on ReST, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReST