[openbeos] Re: Announce 3ivx 5.02 MPEG-4 ASP Video decoder/encoder for BeOS/Haiku released

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:29:20 +0100

David McPaul wrote:
> Hello scott,
>
> You should raise this with 3ivx support 3ivx@xxxxxxxx if you want
> clarification on licencing.
>
> Normally (Windows, MacOS) you would purchase 3ivx from the 3ivx store and
> this gives you a licence key.  This key allows you to remove the
> restrictions on the demo software and install 3ivx full version.  I think
> the below licence is about not taking this key and installing
> 3ivx full version on multiple machines (and since you can get versions
> of 3ivx for MacOS as well multiple OS's). ie 4 machines buy 4 licences.
>
> The 3ivx for BeOS is the full version and no purchase is required for
> private use.  If you want to do something commercial please write to
> 3ivx@xxxxxxxx for licence arrangements.
>
> Also understand, I do not work for 3ivx.  I am a BeOS coder that they
> allow access to their source code so I produce BeOS versions in my spare
> time.

It is pretty nice of them and you! The 3ivx codec is very solid. It is a
very fast performer and very reliable, I have never had a crash, even on
randomly corrupted files.

The availability of the encoder is also awesome to say the least. And now
you top if off by supplying an MP4 extractor and AAC decoder! :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan