[openbeos] Re: Add-ons/Module problems/ideas??

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 21:29:42 +0200 (MEST)

En réponse à Helmar Rudolph <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Isaac Yonemoto wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to have a kernel that can reboot itself?
> > I think I posted this on the suggestions list, but I
> > didn't get much of a response.
>
> > On bootup (if say, spacebar is pressed), then it boots up normally,
> > clearing out all of the previously recorded information.
>
> On a remotely related note, in GEOS you could shut down the
> system at any time. It would then reboot the next with WITH
> your applications open AND the documents you were working on!
> And as the GEOS "auto-save" default is set to 1min, even in
> case of a complete system crash you would lose less than
> 1min's work. This is something I'd like to see on BeOS too,
> because if it's aimed at the desktop, it has to be
> newbie-proof, so even if they just shut down the system the
> hard way, it should restart just where they left/shut-it off.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Helmar

This has to do with session managment... Problem is it has to be taken care
of by every app. Tracker does it for example (only for bfs folders btw),
Opera does so too (except it doesn't start itself at startup).
What can be done by the shutdown command is list every app running at stop
time, and try to restart them... but it can bring some problems, as rerunning
apps we don't know about can be harmful.
BeOS already broadcast a shutdown message btw, what could be done is apps
that want to be restarted on next boot should reply to this message
with a flag saying this.

> --
>  "80% of all deaths may actually be suicides. Persons who
>  lack curiosity about life, who are guilt-ridden and
>  depressed and conditioned by parental example, are all too
>  willing, subconsciously, to cooperate with and attract
>  disease, accident and violence. "  - Tom Robbins
Hmmmm, so true :^)

François.