[openbeos] Re: Add-ons/Module problems/ideas??

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:35:50 +0200 (MEST)

En réponse à Daniel Reinhold <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> [snip-snip]
> >Anyhow, my questions to the OpenBeOS community are:
> >
> >Does anyone else here card about these issues?
>
> I card (I mean, "care")
> ;-)
>

> >Is the BeOS 5.0.3 implementation of addons good enough for OpenBeOS
> R1?
>
> Well, we have to keep the same interface for drivers etc., as that is
> our goal. Of course, we can (and will) play with the internal details
> (how it hooks up to the kernel) all we want, but the interface to
> drivers and third party stuff needs to follow 5.0.3 standards. Those
> standards seem plenty good enough to me (not that I am an expert on
> these matters).

The kernel modules and drivers are really nice to work with, no modprobe,
insmod, rmmod...
just rescan to rload your driver, which finds its modules itself...

However I've been wondering about issues like rescanning, but I still want to
see how usb mosules deals with this before complaining =)

Wondering also if we need to keep modules from publishing devfs entries
and leave that to drivers, or we could allow both.
While it could bemore flexible, it could also become a real mess faster :)

> >Doesn't everybody here want a kernel that blows Linux out of the water
>
> >(excluding drivers which must come from 3rd parties)?
>
> Sure. But what I mostly want is a kernel that works and gets finished
> before we all drop from exhaustion! Actually, I think that Travis has
> already delivered the basics of a truly kick ass kernel. We just need
> to make it R5-friendly and finish it up.

I vote [+]

François.