[openbeos] Re: Add-ons/Module problems/ideas??

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:46:16 -0400

>François wrote:
>> However I've been wondering about issues like rescanning, but I still want to
>> see how usb mosules deals with this before complaining =)
>
>The way "usbd" module ask devfs to reload the driver who register him
>wanting being notified when some specified USB device(s) appear or disapper
>on USB bus is unknown, that's right.
>In fact, the USBD way of doing was said to be a prototype of a new, more
>dynamic, driver API by Be Inc. engineer in some BNewsletter (can't find
>it now, sorry). We'll have to look at this issue, but Michael Phibbs
>don't plan binary compatibility with USB drivers, or did I miss something
>here?

First off, there are no 'b's in my name. ;-)
Secondly, the only comment I made (that I remember) about USB compatability is
that I don't care if the USB bus manager from R5 runs under our kernel or not.
Apparently, there were some issues - some of the bus managers do bad, evil
things
with undocumented or weird kernel functions. So I decided from the outset that
we would have to rewrite those. There are only a few - PCI, SCSI, IDE, USB,
PCMCIA.