[openbeos] Re: Add-ons/Module problems/ideas??

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 01:17:54 +0200 (MEST)

En réponse à Rudy Gingles <rudyatek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> So, basically modules and drivers ARE the same thing? Just two ways
> of interfacing with them due to Unix tradition? This still doesn't
> entirely make sense, partly because I didn't know BeOS was that
> influenced by tradition, and partly because it still seems redundant
> to me. Is this something that will change in R2? I'm still trying to
> find a reason why modules and drivers must exist as separate
> entities, with the kernel treating the two differently.

No.

In BeOS, only drivers are able to publish device files (/dev entries),
modules aren't, they are meant to be called by kernel drivers.
( IIRC NewOS doesn't do the distinction between the too...)

You can view this as a tree (not exactly, but), with modules at intersections,
and drivers at the leaves.
Modules can call other modules, drivers are only loaded by the kernel.

François.