[haiku-web] Re: Introducion & Split up the Website

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 16:39:09 -0700

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Weber wrote:
> first I should introduce myself, I am Daniel Weber (aka Master199). I
> took over the website maintain job from Niels at BeGeistert. If you
> want to know something about me, feel free to ask. :)

Nice to "meet" you, so to speak. :)

> Back to the topic:
> The split up in more than one installation isn't that usefull, because
> if you have 5 subdomains and for each an seperated Drupal, you have
> almost 5 times the work. You could also use one Drupal installation to
> manage these subdomains, but I never had this situation before and I
> dont know how much performance get lost thru this. The third way would
> be to redirect the subdomains to an existing site/section in one main
> Installation, but that would makes no sense to me too.
>
> For myself I prefer the one "big" site solution with an new concept of
> navigation, because if we use subdomains, this is for an first time
> visitor just confusing. We should take care that everyone can simply
> navigate to every section he wants.

I personally consider Drupal's fragility that results from the ever
getting longer list of modules required to add functionality an
increasing headache. The more modules you use, the harder it becomes to
achieve/maintain stability and the more challenging upgrades become;
because modules can and do interact with each other and with Drupal
core, even upgrading a single module can have unpredictable effects in
the rest of the site. That's why I think breaking up the functionality
in smaller installations would help. Also, I doubt a shared installation
would have any impact performance-wise (although I have never tried it).

Of course this is all IMHO and FWIW; and since you are the boss now, I
guess you get to choose what to do and how. :) Good luck in your new
endeavor!

> Update to D6:
> The current theme (based on the old SpreadFox Theme) isn't usable with
> Drupal6 without some modifications. But if I would rework and
> reimplement it, I could also write an new one. So I think we should
> bring up a new theme and layout with an update to D7, so we can jump
> over D6 without doing the same work two times (because from D6 to D7
> there are changes in the engine again).

I had in mind working on a D6 theme based on the acquia_marina theme
(this is what the Haiku Guide site theme was based on). This theme is
nice because it has support for customizations as well as IE6 & Ie7
overrides via separate CSS files, has many regions (so it is very
flexible) and has a very complete set of configurations. In addition,
this theme is sponsored by Acquia (sort of the business arm of Drupal),
so it is well-maintained and you can expect it to be supported when D7
comes around the corner. But if you prefer to create a new theme from
scratch, I guess that's good too. :)

Cheers,

Jorge