[haiku-inc] Re: Is Haiku Inc. operating in accordance to NY state law?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 00:03:13 -0400

I've dealt with the IRS and I've dealt with various facets of
government. In the grand scheme of things we are a tiny corporation
with a tiny budget. The average person makes more per year than Haiku,
Inc. It is not worth anyone's time to hassle us. We have filed as
needed with the IRS. We only file an "e-card" 990 because our donation
total is so small.

If someone hates Haiku, Inc so much to petition the state of New York
to claim we are not following corporate law, they could. I honestly
think I could talk to someone who works there for 5 minutes to explain
our situation and they would give us a pass. I could produce some
minutes for our annual meetings if needed. You would just have to take
our word for it, but good luck proving we didn't meet. Absolute worse
case we might have to dissolve the corporation.

That would be one less burden for all of on the board but overall I
think it would just seriously hurt the Haiku project. Someone else
would have to go through all the work Michael did again, and it isn't
easy. I bet no one would, so strictly speaking the project could no
longer take donations.

So Karl you really need to tone down on the threats. And they are
threats. I really don't appreciate it.

We are doing the best we can. Honestly the amount of donations we get
is great, but it is a pittance in the grand scheme. Major non-profits
deal with literally 1000, 10,000, 100,000 TIMES the amount of money we
do. So I really don't understand why there is so much ire over how we
spend our money.

I'm actually kind of eager to get off the board so I can hassle the
new people the way you do Karl. It is always easy on the other side.

--
Regards,
Ryan