[haiku-inc] Re: Is Haiku Inc. operating in accordance to NY state law?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 08:58:37 -0500

On , Karl vom Dorff wrote:
On Oct 1, 2014 12:03 AM, "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

 > I've dealt with the IRS and I've dealt with various facets of
 > government. In the grand scheme of things we are a tiny corporation
 > with a tiny budget. The average person makes more per year than
Haiku,
 > Inc. It is not worth anyone's time to hassle us. We have filed as
 > needed with the IRS. We only file an "e-card" 990 because our
donation
 > total is so small.
 >
 > If someone hates Haiku, Inc so much to petition the state of New
York
 > to claim we are not following corporate law, they could. I honestly
 > think I could talk to someone who works there for 5 minutes to
explain
 > our situation and they would give us a pass. I could produce some
 > minutes for our annual meetings if needed. You would just have to
take
 > our word for it, but good luck proving we didn't meet. Absolute
worse
 > case we might have to dissolve the corporation.
 >
 > That would be one less burden for all of on the board but overall I
 > think it would just seriously hurt the Haiku project. Someone else
 > would have to go through all the work Michael did again, and it
isn't
 > easy. I bet no one would, so strictly speaking the project could no
 > longer take donations.
 >
 > So Karl you really need to tone down on the threats. And they are
 > threats. I really don't appreciate it.

How am I threatening? I have offered my help and pointed out
deficiencies in the operation of the corporation. If I were on the
board I would say thanks for pointing these issues out because I as a
director could be held liable for my actions/inactions.

 > We are doing the best we can. Honestly the amount of donations we
get
 > is great, but it is a pittance in the grand scheme. Major
non-profits
 > deal with literally 1000, 10,000, 100,000 TIMES the amount of money
we
 > do. So I really don't understand why there is so much ire over how
we
 > spend our money

I am not complaining about how money is being spent! Rather how it is
raised (no bounties) and a stagnant donation meter, etc. I felt more
could be done.

This led me to look at who was running Haiku Inc. That, in turn, made
me see that things weren't being run as they should. I am not
threatening anyone or anybody.

 > I'm actually kind of eager to get off the board so I can hassle the
 > new people the way you do Karl. It is always easy on the other
side.

Well I'd take a position on the board if that is what you are
offering.

-1