[haiku-inc] Re: Is Haiku Inc. operating in accordance to NY state law?

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 01:11:56 +0200

On 01/10/2014 04:55, Urias McCullough wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> They should get fixed overnight though. Suppose someone reports the Haiku
>> Inc. has failed to report its finances to the IRS ((If an organization fails
>> to file a required return by the due date (including any extensions of time,
>> it must pay a penalty of $20 a day for each day the return is late)), that
>> elections are never held, and that there are no annual meetings and or
>> documentation thereof as prescribed by NY state for non-profits... That
>> would be disastrous. For 2013, 155 days late equals $3100 USD, ouch.
>
> We just didn't update the website with the most recent 990 filing:
>
> http://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/displayEPostcard.do?dispatchMethod=displayEpostInfo&ePostcardId=2530378&ein=200105056

FWIW:

- we're all volunteers, despite the "Inc" in the name.

- I'm treasurer in a french non-profit and I know well enough it's
already hard to do the required stuff in time, so the optional things
tend to go untouched for quite some time, because, well no time.

- it wouldn't be the first org to hold meetings via IPOT (IP over time)
because well, we forgot/weren't all there/didn't have time/you name it.
Sure it's not the best way but it's not like we're Mozilla.
(plus in France the administration for non-profit has a minimum of
6month lag anyway)

- it wouldn't be the first org to have its board reelected constantly,
with just "Anyone against? Anyone abstain? Unanimity". That's how most
non-profit work in France, really, and it's well enough for the budget
they handle. Still, the members are (supposedly) sent a call to general
assembly every year, and (supposedly) meet to do this.

- I don't know for the US, but in France most non-profit have 2 types of
bylaws: the "statuts" which is kind of constitution, and is published in
the official journal, and the "règlement intérieur" which isn't and can
be changed without filing administration forms, that usually define
things like board membership terms and election modalities. Is it the
same for US Incs?

- having Haiku, Inc. get more visibility on its actions would be nice,
but I rather have it make the paperwork to have Adrien do some things
than publishing boring figures none reads anyway.

- I think almost everyone agrees bounties are not always working out.
Sure it might have worked sometimes, but you know, even having hardware
given out to port Haiku to it doesn't magically create the required
time/health/food/... no matter how much you want to do it.

So yes, there might be some things not done, but endless discussions
about what could happen if... will not help people take the time they
need to fix it.

I myself already have a hard time following all the dev mailing lists
I'm subscribed to already, no need to add to it :P

François.