[haiku-inc] Re: Is Haiku Inc. operating in accordance to NY state law?

  • From: Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:31:33 -0400

So, I am going to go out on a limb, and say that Haiku Inc. is not
operating legally, by failing to have by-laws, and by failing to have
annual meetings to elect directors. It just cannot be that the same five
individuals can re-elect themselves or change responsibilities perpetually.
Even Ryan's flower/garden committee or the condo board I was on is run more
effectively than this, sadly. It is not fair. Maybe people just do not
care, but they should when they sign up for such a responsibility.

This should be on the conscience of each director at Haiku Inc. (and is on
record here) because they have due diligence to follow what is mandated by
New York State for not for profit organizations.

I think a high priority should be placed on how elections are run, and who
may vote in these elections (hence by-laws). IMHO, donors above a certain
threshold and developers with commit access would be a fair representation
of the community with a vested interest in Haiku, and thereby should
receive voting rights to elect a board of directors. Elections signify
accountability, and I suspect much would change in a new election.

Perhaps this is why Haiku is so boring in the first place (my opinion).
Public elections, voting rights, regular board meetings (quarterly), etc.
Things done more democratically. It would bring some excitement to Haiku
and make people feel more involved.

--
Karl vom Dorff
BScH Biology (German Minor)