[haiku-development] Re: freetype update from 2.6.5 to 2.7

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 23:16:28 +0200

Am 25/09/2016 um 22:37 schrieb Julian Harnath:

I would propose to use the new hinting with actual sub-pixel rendering
and also with horizontal sub-pixel positioning. This requires more
changes than replacing Freetype, including changes to the glyph caching
I'd be interested in this. However, before I invest quantities of
time... we still ship freetype without the combination of
hinting+subpixel enabled, so one still needs to decide which of the two
is activated. Is this even worth it if we can't ship the combination of
both?

The hinting patent is expired since some time, but the ClearType patents are not [1].
However, subpixel positioning doesn't equal a ClearType style RGB subpixel mapping. It only means that the characters will be drawn at subpixel position, and will therefore may look differently depending on their exact position. The font cache will need to cache several versions of the same character at different subpixel positions.
This is all independent of RGB subpixel rendering, and will still help to improve the homogeneity of the visual font appearance.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the colored fringes the ClearType rendering causes, although I do like the improved visual impression of the font rendering.
Anyway I think those are two different issues, and could be well worth the work :-)

Also, we could look at what Ubuntu is doing, and just copy that; it looks quite nice IMO, too.

Bye,
   Axel.

[1] https://www.freetype.org/patents.html