[haiku-development] Re: Working on Haiku's Mail app

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 17:59:11 +0100

-- Axel Dörfler, on Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:42:20 +0100:
> > But I added a simple solution, please have one more look at
> > http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddx3qxp9_13ftxvhjgj
> > (It sports an animated gif. \o/)
>
> I'm not sure you will actually need the +/- buttons (I would guess a
> rough indicator as previously proposed would suffice), but I like the
> general idea of that button, and it could indeed be adopted in a
> similar
> way to make a new widget.

I couldn't come up with a nice looking solution so far. You need to
have the value as text/label/something plus a slider. Like:

[Same Sender] since 14 days ago ----^-------------".

Is it obvious that the "14 days ago" is changed with the non-descript
slider?
OTOH, everybody would just try the slider once and sees what it does...
Should I do another mockup?

> However, I miss a button to actually start the query. I would find it
> bit awkward if the second pop up would implicitly launch the query,
> as
> you will usually want to keep it at its default (I could assume).
> However, if the first pop up would do that, that would be useful, but
> the order wouldn't be very intuitive.

From the text:
"LMB on query icon to open the query result window, RMB for "Save
Query...", "Save as Template...", or drag&drop to save."

I also see the problem of conveying how to start the query.
I'd like to have the start mechanism to the left, because if you just
expanded the query view, your mouse is in the area and chances are the
query formula already fits.
I don't really like a picture button with a border. Maybe the query
icon could jump on mouse-over like the rest of the toolbar icons. Plus
a bubble help "Search".
I'd prefer the icon over a generic "Search" button for aesthetical
reasons.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de