[haiku-development] Re: Working on Haiku's Mail app

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:36:19 +0100

"Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> -- Axel Dörfler, on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:19:39 +0100:
> > FWIW I almost never change the status in list view mode, always via
> > Mail (I have two extra status defined: "Look at", and "To be
> > answered").
> Which leads to the question how to deal with these rather longer
> custom
> status. All system strings are rather short - New, Sent, Read, Replied
> - (which makes sense esp. in list view mode).

Actually, I've called them "Look" and "Answer", but that's just clear
enough for me, and no general solution to the problem :-)

> Of course, the icon+status view can grow with the status string...
> But is there a better solution?
> Moving the status into the header section would add a 4th line. I'd
> like to avoid that.

Since users are responsible for longer status, anyway, I wouldn't mind
letting the status view grow. Even longer a status probably isn't really
that long compared to the subject.

> OTOH, not having the status under the icon would allow for avatars
> with
> the height of the 3 header lines, approx. 48x48 instead of 32x32.
> Should anyone like the avatar idea...
> And, using a drop-down instead of the bit hidden right-click menu for
> status setting doesn't look as light-weight as the simple label under
> the icon.

BTW those drop downs are called "pop ups" in Haiku. Don't mix this for
a consistent language.

Bye,
   Axel.