[haiku-development] Re: Request for vote for next release naming

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 09:38:31 +0100 (CET)

> On February 11, 2014 at 2:17 AM looncraz <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If there is a another alpha, I'd called it the "Final Alpha."

Haiku R1 Final Alpha.1 :-)

It doesn't make sense to label a release beta just because people want that to
happen. If that would be our aim, we would call it R1, and be done with it.
"beta" has a specific meaning in software development, and I don't see any
reason why we would change that. Sure, a beta would be nice and all, but it's
not the word "beta" that makes the difference, but being feature complete.

Just to repeat Ingo, I'd say we should determine *exactly* what we want to be in
the release that isn't there yet.
IMAP is not a good point, as we do have IMAP support -- it's just buggy (so
"beta" ready) :-)
Another question is if we still want to allow API changes after the beta
release. I think there is a lot things we should discuss first, before even
being able to decide the "name" of the release.

Bye,
   Axel.