[haiku-development] Re: Request for vote for next release naming

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:16:50 +0100

On 02/10/2014 10:21 AM, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
I also vote for alpha5.

I think the merge of the PM and scheduler branch where both quite big ones. I think we
shouldn't release beta1 before we released an alpha that had the same feature set, so
that basically all beta1 says is "this is the last alpha with bugs ironed out".

The common meaning of beta is feature complete but buggy, while alpha is not feature complete. Consequently the development process should change with the beta. I.e. we should create a branch in which only bug fixes are accepted and which should ultimately lead to the final R1 (likely with a few betas on the way).

ATM I don't see feature completeness. In the PM area alone I have quite a few things in mind that should be added. I think we shouldn't wait too much longer with our next release and just call it alpha.

As for when we start beta releases, I think we should make a detailed (!) list of features that we want in R1 and do the first beta release when all of them have been ticked off (or removed).

CU, Ingo