[haiku-development] Re: Request for vote for next release naming

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 14:20:36 +0100

Hi,

On 11.02.2014 13:17, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
I'm not sure where our misunderstanding lies.

You have outlined the purpose of having a detailed list (to be able to know when the beta phase is reached) and the purpose of entering a bugfix mode (to have quick release cycles towards a final release). My concerns are simply that each respective purpose cannot realistically be achieved.

I never said "exact", only "detailed". ATM the feature list with respect
to PM has no detail at all. There are large enough subfeatures (I listed
some earlier) that could be implemented or could be postponed. If I
asked you whether you consider PM ready for R1, you'd probably point out
some of these subfeatures as must-haves. So I think it only makes sense
to put them on the list in the first place.

What medium do you consider best for creating that list, assuming the list is not the bug-tracker itself? Someone (I, you?) could start a Trac WIKI page where he drafts a first version of issues he considers important, then each of the interested committers has a go at ammending the list. After the dust settled (we could set a dead-line), we could publically discuss items on the list. Which items to drop, which items need more detail... We could transfer each item into one ore more tickets, where necessary, or link to existing tickets.

My items would basically fall into two categories: a) What I would personally consider needed to use Haiku among the other platforms I use. b) What I find so bad about the Haiku user experience that I think it absolutely needs to be fixed in order not to embarrass ourselves.

Best regards,
-Stephan