[haiku-development] Re: RFC: @haiku-os.org email address policy

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 14:14:19 +0100

On 2010-01-07 at 10:30:33 [+0100], PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Okay, I'm convinced that it is okay to use nicknames and in
> > combination with the 'real name'  during official correspondence.
>
> Note it also allows keeping it in sync with the account we have on the
> system for svn commits and ssh logins. I guess this would likely make
> the admin tasks simpler (no need to have a map of realname <> nickname
> somewhere)
> Contributors may also want to stay anonymous on the internet for
> personal reasons, so enforcing the use of their real name would
> prevent using the address.

I disagree with the anonymity part. As the main purpose of these email
addresses is to lend credibility when communicating with third parties, not
using the real name with them is really a no-go, IMO. If a contributor
wants to stay anonymous, that's fine, but I think representives of the
project shouldn't.

CU, Ingo