[haiku-development] Re: RFC: @haiku-os.org email address policy

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 21:01:15 +0100

Hi Niels,

thanks for preparing that overview.

On 2010-01-06 at 13:51:34 [+0100], Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

[ ... ]

> Since the main objective is to add trust and recognition for
> communication with third parties, the email address will be - without
> exception - formatted as firstname.familyname@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd be fine with using either that or the haiku-wise known nickname. In
communication with third parties, it should be usual practice to add the name
as phrase to the mail address, i.e. 'fullname <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>'

> PRIVACY
> ---
> The email system is maintained by Haiku's system administrator pool.
> They do not monitor incoming or outgoing messages, intercept traffic
> or interfere in any way. Except:
>  a) At the request by the owner of the mailbox.
>  b) When abuse is reported (as defined above). The system
> administrators can then decide to verify the claim. This has to be
> done by an unanimous decision within that pool. Regardless of the
> outcome, the administrators will inform the owner of the mailbox of
> the claim and how they handled it.

I'm afraid this will not be the case, as mail messages are in fact being
monitored by snort already. On top of that, we might have to install some
kind of SPAM filtering for incoming mails to avoid backscatter bounces.

Instead of trying to come up with explicit privacy rules, I'd like to state
that we will try to maintain privacy as good as possible within the realms of
keeping the mail system in a healthy state.
IMHO, the requirement of unanimous decisions does not make sense, should
there ever happen something unfortunate, like a spambot firing out mails
through baron. With disruptions of that kind, any admin should naturally be
allowed to put an end to it as quickly as possible, no matter whether or not
the user whose address is being used is actually causing the problems himself
(unlikely, I suppose) or if his account has been hacked.

cheers,
        Oliver