[haiku-development] Re: R1alpha 2 : time to get the ball rolling ?

  • From: Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:13:14 -0500

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Rather hesitant feedback so far. :-)

I meant to reply to this but got sidetracked by work and forgot it'd
been asked :)

> Indeed another release is overdue.

Agreed.

> That would definitely help for a more polished impression. On the other hand
> that would also need to include third party applications we distribute in
> the release. This in turn raises the question where we stand with respect to
> making the locale kit public API. IMHO ATM it's nowhere near being in a
> shape for that. Furthermore that would effectively require the layout
> functionality to be made public, too, which needs a bit of work as well.

+1

> How useful is unencrypted Wifi support? Sure you can access public WLANs,
> but since you wouldn't set up your home WLAN without encryption, this is how
> far it goes. Maybe Colin can add some insight how things look on the
> encryption front and whether we should include that, too.

I'm with Matt on this one...unencrypted may not be ideal but it's by
far better than no wifi at all.

> With the attention the future native browser gets ATM, I'm fairly optimistic
> it will be in excellent shape pretty soon.

It's already quite usable even at this stage, so if we're indeed
targeting the next BG or shortly thereafter as a release date, it
should definitely be good to go by then.

> Since no features are added here, the alpha 3 release could already be the
> first beta.

+1

Regards,

Rene