[haiku-development] R1alpha 2 : time to get the ball rolling ?

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:01:35 +0100

Hello devs,
It's been almost 6 month since the alpha 1 release now. It seems we've reached the point where when someone asks for support on #haiku on irc, the first thing he is asked is to upgrade his install to a nightly build revision. I guess this mean we've gathered the feedback we wanted from r1a1 in terms of bug hunting and features testing.

Haiku has seen a lot of improvements in these 6 month (see http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/ImprovementsSinceAlpha1 ). The plan was to have the following releases happen quite quickly after this one, but no one stepped up to set up a release plan.

The alpha1 release was an experiment in term of project organisation to see if we could handle a release properly, with all the website slashdotting, iso image mirroring, issue report flow and other related potential problems. Now that it's done, we can set up a proper plan setting the future milestones all the way to R1.

Here is the list we set up at BeGeistert :
http://picasaweb.google.de/markerben/BeGeistert21#5394316382178705490

This message is an attempt to get such an effort started. So, below is a proposal for such a milestone set. It may or may not suit you, so feel free to improve on it.

R1 alpha 2 :
* Already a good set of improvements since the alpha1. Some things that could still be missing : * Finish localization of every app in Haiku (lots of work, but it will allow people to contribute catalogs) * Unencrypted Wifi support (mostly done already, mmadia submitted some patches that should be commited to load firmwares and enable drivers by default
 * Web browser (this is the "killer feature" for this release)
* ACPI enabled by default, in order to get it some exposure. Of course it needs to be tested in dev. builds for some time before, and maybe give an option to disable it in the bootloader ?

R1 alpha 3 :
 * Package manager
 * Encrypted Wifi
 * IRQ routing

R1 beta 1 :
 * Driver testing, and overall testing
Basically the beta should be feature complete R1, but with bugs still hiding.

R1 :
 * Just fix bugs found on beta

As for the timing, well, this plan adds quite a lot of features in alpha2 so it'd need quite more time.
I'm waiting for your advice on this...

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx