[haiku-development] Re: R1alpha 2 : time to get the ball rolling ?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 14:26:35 +0100

On 2010-03-03 at 09:15:07 [+0100], Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2010-03-03 at 09:07:53 [+0100], Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I guess the Layout API is very far in the game (and I guess we might
> > even declare that public soon), the Locale Kit needs much more work.
>
> I find the layout API nice as is, especially with the builders. I believe
> what's missing is integration with the archiving feature in general, or at
> least testing. I don't know what currently happens when you archive a BView
> hierarchy that is layout managed, and unarchive it again.

Probably evil things, since archiving is utterly unimplemented in the
layouting classes. It's also not completely trivial to do, as the BLayout
hierarchy mirrors and extends the BView hierarchy and the unarchiving process
has to map those to each other again. Particularly nasty is the
BTwoDimensionalLayout::AlignLayoutWith() feature, which introduces
cross-references between (sub-)hierarchies.

> Second, the Layout
> API needs to be made FBC save. That is, adding a whole bunch of padding
> virtuals and padding data to each class as needed.

Yes, that's not that much of a problem, though.

> Ingo may come up with
> more TODOs,

There were a few feature requests that should definitely be considered before
making the API public -- e.g. deriving BLayout from BLayoutItem and allowing
to create BView-less BLayouts.

CU, Ingo